what i've been watching


connell and marianne from normal people



1. Sex Education

Top of my list for a reason. If you haven't already, make it a priority to add Sex Education to your Netflix watch list. On first impressions, I wasn't so sure about the 'teen high school', slightly corny vibe, but by the second episode I was utterly hooked. I think it's one of those shows you really have to stick with as it just gets better and better, and the plot develops very well. Interestingly, I found out that the show purposefully combines elements of a UK and US setting, which shows in the scenery and costume choices. Yet despite the fictional surroundings, the show feels ever so relatable, exploring every important theme imaginable: from romance, friendship and LGBTQ+ issues, to bullying, harassment and you guessed it, sex. 

2. Benidorm

A real firm favourite of mine. I remember watching episodes of Benidorm as it was released every Friday with my family. As we re-watch it now it amuses me to imagine ten year old Jessica naively listening to all the innuendo's. All in all, the show is brilliantly tacky British comedy at its best, exploring the events and lives of several stereotypical holiday-makers in an all-inclusive 3-star hotel. Potentially an unpopular opinion, but I much prefer the first few series with the original families as it all feels a bit more realistic. More recent episodes seem to be daft and less relatable, which isn't really for me.  Nevertheless, if you're after a hilarious pick me up during this strange time, Benidorm is sure to brighten the mood. Oh, and Jacqueline Stewart is an absolutely fabulous female icon too. 

3. You

In total contrast, I decided to give You a go, after hearing lots of mixed opinions about it on social media. For me, the show lacks likeable characters and I found it hard to sympathise with or root for any of them. Beck in particular is portrayed to lack true individuality or zest. Furthermore, some of the mini-plots are just too far-fetched and drastic to seem even remotely believable. On the other hand, the accelerating events and episodic cliffhangers left me initially wanting more, meaning I found You easy to binge-watch to start with. Ultimately though, I found the theme to be too dark and odd for my liking and I haven't bothered watching it since lockdown, so I'm yet to finish the series. Maybe it gets better, but I'm not desperate to find out.

4. Gogglebox

Next up, Gogglebox, a show which I've adored since my first viewing and find myself always coming back to, thanks to my friend Kate for introducing me to it. It's the one programme which I feel has got even better since lockdown and owing to the nature of it, we're blessed with a freshly updated episode every week. There's something very comforting about watching each household go through familiar feelings and of course, share their amusing insights on the weeks roundup of telly. As a family, we've found it to be part of our routine to tune in every Friday and find ourselves laughing and weeping along with the stars of the show. 

5. Normal People

Finally, the show everyone is talking about: Normal People. Firstly, I'll talk about the things I don't like, starting with Marianne and Connell's bond. It frustrates me to watch two young adults, who I do like individually, develop a relationship comprising of no meaningful friendship or shared understanding of each other. I know this aspect of their partnership is purposeful and important to the plot, but I wish we could've seen a little more spark between them other than sexual chemistry. Note that I am only up to episode seven, so perhaps this changes. Also, I did find the first couple of episodes very stretched and began to wonder when the narrative would actually develop. Thankfully it did, and the moody undertone was slightly overridden with the novelty of university life. Now for the things I do like. The aesthetic of the whole show is interesting and relevant. The carefully curated soundtrack, tasteful outfits and stunning rural Irish landscape make the viewing experience very satisfying. I wish I remembered some of the technical terms I learnt in GCSE Media, but what I can say is that the use of camera and filming also seems to add to overall enjoyment. My favourite aspect of Normal People is the way in which it explores individual emotion, personal perspective and human interaction, in a subdued and thoughtful manner. 

Jess 






Comments

Popular Posts