five albums that shaped me



14 Beatles Studio Albums: We Rank 'Em! | EW.com
The Beatles 1967 album: Magical Mystery Tour

I have a lot to owe music for shaping the person I am today and providing so much joy in my life. There are so many more incredible albums I could have added to this list but I'd be here forever. So, here are five key albums that I feel encompass what I'm all about. 


1. Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles


It was hard to select just one Beatles album owing to their huge selection of brilliant songs. I chose Magical Mystery Tour because it features some of my favourites, including Penny Lane which holds some fond memories for me. I remember visiting Liverpool for the first time with my family and we all totally fell in love with the city and its atmosphere. Part of Liverpool's culture is shaped by The Beatles and we relished in travelling through Penny Lane on our bus into the city, and discovering The Cavern Club where The Beatles famously played.


2. Mika - Life in Cartoon Motion

I vividly remember summer's spent listening to this album whilst dancing around the garden with Lucy. As I ventured into adolescence, I found so much joy in Mika's quirky and carefree tunes, my favourite being Grace Kelly of course. To this day I adore Mika's voice and individuality. Whenever I hear a song from this album I cannot help but belt it out to my heart's content.


3. Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare

It all started with Fluorescent Adolescent, a song which takes me back to being a confused, relatively shy teenager who just wanted to fit in. Again, it was my sister who introduced me to AM after I asked her for some good music I could listen to. From then on I was hooked, and started to broaden my taste in music thanks to my Ipod nano and then Spotify. Although my music preferences have since evolved, I'm still fond of AM and other similar indie-rock bands for a bit of teenage nostalgia.


4. Footloose

Another hard one to choose, as I'm fond of so many musical albums. However, Footloose has recently become one of my favourite films of all time and the soundtrack is truly divine. I have always had a love for musical theatre and Footloose is just one of the productions I've had the pleasure of seeing on stage. The album also takes me back to dancing in shows and idolising the older girls who performed to the likes of Footloose and Fame.


5. Queen - Greatest Hits II

I couldn't not include Queen on my list. They are one of my favourite bands of all time and I will forever treasure their songs for as long as I live. My adoration for the band started at a very young age after listening to this album on repeat in my dad's car on journey's both long and short. Queen's music carried me through my childhood, teenage years and university days and after watching Bohemian Rhapsody, I found my adoration for the band soar further.


Jess 












Comments

Popular Posts