another year of books




I follow last year's post with another round up of the books I have devoured throughout the year. I cannot decide whether it's a positive or negative thing that I only found time for six, as opposed to the twelve I promised myself. At times, I found reading to be a welcomed escape from life's turbulence. Yet, I believe the lack of books in the list is owed to the fact I was truly relishing reality and making memories in order to compensate for those lacking in twenty-twenty. If this pattern of blog-writing continues, I suppose I shall be back next year with more musings on words read...



1. Normal People

The series was great; the book was fantastic. At first glance, Rooney's writing style seemed somewhat strange, however quickly I found the reading experience to be heightened by the grammatical choices she made. For me, the lack of punctuation allowed for a more personal experience so that I connected with the characters. This is a story of less substance but lots of style. As in, plot wise, nothing much actually happens. Yet we are transported so vividly into the lives of Connell and Marianne that we hang onto their every mundane moment. It is difficult to determine how differently I would have perceived this book had I not watched the series first. Luckily, I liked the portrayal of the characters and setting in the latter which set the scene nicely in my mind for reading.




2. Queenie

W-o-w, I bloody loved Queenie. As in, the book and the character. Carty-Williams has superbly combined important topic matter with delightful doses of humour and light-hearted moments. Central to the novel is Queenie's experience as a Black British young woman and (without spoiling the story) the reader follows her as she navigates hardships and remarkably finds her strength in a society that is prejudiced towards her. I would need to gain the perspective of somebody who is Black them-self in order to confirm the contextual accuracy of this fiction. I have to say though, I would read this again in a heartbeat! 




3. My Thoughts Exactly

Lily's music reminds me of my years transporting from the innocence of childhood into the confusion of adolescence. Yes, I was naively rocking along to 'It's not fair' at the tender age of about eleven. That's why I picked up Lily's book though I think, hoping for a segment of nostalgia and an insight into her world. I sort of liked it and sort of didn't. The brutal honesty can be applauded and I certainly finished the book feeling like I knew Lily like a close mate. It did feel like more of a vent than a well-rounded pocket of Lily's life though. 




4. Where The Crawdads Sing

This book is a work of art. It is sensational and I want everybody who has a good imagination to read it. The imagery and descriptive language contribute magnificently towards transporting you to Kya's world and creating a immersive experience. Owens so cleverly crafts a fictional place with fictional characters living in it and makes it all seem real. I finished the novel pining for more and wishing that I could follow more of the adventures in Barkley Cove. Where the Crawdad's Sing was my Summer read this year, that I picked up whenever I wished to lay quietly in my garden and enjoy the sunshine. Perhaps this contributed to my immense enjoyment of it, or maybe Delia Owens is simply a genius writer. 




5. The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse

Another work of art, truly. I ordered this book online after seeing its popularity surge on social media and didn't really know what to expect. It exceeded anything I could hope for, allowing me a quick read that uplifted, inspired and gave me hope. It's the sort of book you want to keep forever and pass down to future generations to treasure and love. It is universally enjoyable owing to the stunning illustrations and simplistic writing. It never feels like Mackesy is trying too hard or showing off. All of the messages and morals shared are straight to the point and well-intended. I will reach for this book whenever I need a dose of love and encouragement.




5. Black Teacher

For my final choice of 2021, Black Teacher was the perfect one. It combines two topics that are of educational interest to me: racial prejudice and education. Particularly since the coverage of Black Lives Matter, I have wished to educate myself and learn more of the historical roots of racism. Understanding the lived experiences of those being affected, I feel, is integral to this so Gilroy's account was an important and eye-opening read for me. As an educator myself, I find the world of British schools fascinating and I found many similarities in Beryl's experiences to my own when I was a student teacher, despite us living in very different times and circumstances. The prejudices Gilroy faced were shocking and often even heartbreaking, yet she maintains kindness and strength throughout all of this which is truly extraordinary. I think this may be my most highly recommended non-fiction read of the year, and perhaps all time. 


Jess 


Comments

Popular Posts