a year of books

 


This time last year I set myself a resolution to read more and since then have managed six books in total. I am hoping to double that this year and if '21 is anything like '20, I'll have no problem in finding time to do so.  

I've always been a bit of a bookworm but somehow lost touch with reading somewhere between adolescence and adulthood. Getting lost in a book had become something I only did when sat by the poolside on holiday and I knew I had to change that. So, here I present a small summary of all the books that I escaped to in the midst of a pretty turbulent year. 

1. Daisy Jones & The Six 

My reading resolution got off to a fantastic start with Daisy Jones & The Six; an electric and vibrant account of the formation, and eventually dissolution of a fictional seventies band. Taylor Jenkins Reid presents a unique writing style in this book that transports the reader into the world of Daisy Jones and her band mates. At times, you truly believe the story is based on real life. This book, for me, was a perfect dose of nostalgia and drama, without being too heavy. 

2. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

I honestly cannot praise this book enough. At first, I found myself amused by Eleanor's mishaps and bewildered by her attitudes and perceptions, yet as the story progressed I felt deeply empathetic and found her increasingly relatable. The story is fast-paced enough to keep you engaged whilst sensitively detailing key events and sentiments. This is probably one of the best books I have ever read.

3. The Book Thief

I would describe the previous two books as 'light' and this one as 'heavy' in the sense that almost all of the narrative describes or foreshadows danger. Because of this, and owing to the fact I'd watched the film first, I felt a tension whilst reading that was difficult to ignore. However, clearly the point of reading The Book Thief is not to be uplifted, but moved and informed, and with this in mind I think the book is superb. 

4. Then She Was Gone

A totally different genre for me, Then She Was Gone is a disturbing, yet compelling thriller that had me hooked from start to finish. Personally, I liked that the build up was slow, as this allowed connections to made and gave the story more depth. Lisa Jewell's writing style is accessible and allows the reader to focus on demystifying the plot, rather than language use. I am keen to read more from her. 

5. The Tattooist of Auschwitz 

It was fascinating to compare The Tattooist of Auschwitz to The Book Thief on their presentation of antisemitism and its impact on ordinary lives. Heather Morris creates imagery that allows the reader to immerse into a setting that would otherwise be incomprehensible. The tragic realities of life in Auschwitz are explored authentically with little left to the imagination. I think this way of telling is important given that the story is based on true life events. 

6. Women Don't Owe You Pretty

If you do not feel that this book represents you, I stand with you and hope that literature will continue to embody all voices. My goal for '21 is to diversify my reads further. 

I decided to opt for non-fiction for my final book of the year and chose Women Don't Owe You Pretty as I had seen it rising in popularity and felt that I had not read enough feminist literature. Firstly, the aesthetic of the book is glorious. The images designed by Florence Given are beautiful and reflect a spectrum of women better than most of the media does (I was particularly pleased to see an illustration of a woman with vitiligo). I like that the book is organised into themes and each one is explored making no assumptions of the reader's prior knowledge. This book contained some important reminders and I feel that it could be even better received by a younger reader. 

Jess 



Comments

Popular Posts